Monday, March 11, 2013
The Fifth Annual Charity Hockey Benefit, played March 9 in Canton, aided the family of Canton Police Officer Ralph Centeno, who recently passed away. Take a look at photos of the Stoughton PD/FD in action in the media gallery of this article.
Typically, when the Stoughton Police and Fire Departments trade in their guns and hoses for hockey skates they are on opposing teams, but this past Saturday, the SPD and SFD joined forces at the Metropolis (Ponkapoag) Ice Rink in Canton for the Fifth Annual Charity Hockey Benefit. Members of the Stoughton Police and Fire Departments played on a split-squad team against the Randolph Police and Fire Departments. That game was followed by the Canton Police and Fire Departments taking on the Boston Police. Randolph and Boston both skated to victory. All proceeds from this year's event went to the family of Canton Police Officer Rafael Centeno, who recently passed away from pancreatic cancer. The event was sponsored by 1-800-BoardUp, which …
Thursday, March 7, 2013
The Fifth Annual Charity Hockey Benefit, played March 9 in Canton, will aid the family of Canton Police Officer Ralph Centeno, who recently passed away.
While later this month they will go head-to-head in the annual Guns 'N Hoses hockey game, the Stoughton Police and Fire Departments are joining forces this upcoming weekend to help the family of a fellow first responder. On Saturday, March 9, the Fifth Annual Charity Hockey Benefit will take place at the Metropolis (Ponkapoag) Ice Rink at 2167 Washington St./Route 138 in Canton at 8 p.m. All proceeds from this year's event will go to the family of Canton Police Officer Rafael Centeno, who recently passed away. Admission is free and donations will be accepted at the door. The benefit will include a chuck-a-puck contest, auction items, raffles, a live DJ and prizes. At 8 p.m., the Stoughton Police/Fire Department will take on the Randolph …
Wednesday, August 29, 2012
Two residents were displaced as a result of Tuesday night's fire in Canton, though no injuries were reported.
The Stoughton Fire Department was among five area fire departments assisting the Canton FD's response to a two-alarm house fire in Canton Tuesday night. The fire that ignited at a home on Chapman Street in Canton was the result of an accidental electrical issue, Canton Fire Chief Charles E. Doody said Wednesday. The fire broke out around 9 p.m. Tuesday, and caused fire damage to a basement electrical room. The two occupants who own the home were displaced as a result of the fire, though there were no injuries, Doody said. "They had fire damage to a basement electrical room, and that extended to the first-floor kitchen, and they had pretty significant smoke and water damage throughout," Doody said. The home, he added, will be …
Monday, July 16, 2012
Firefighters from Stoughton, Sharon and Canton worked to put out a fire at a building on Southworth Court in Stoughton on Sunday. There were no injuries.
While there was potential for a more serious blaze, thanks to the quick work of firefighters, a fire at an old machine shop on Southworth Court in Stoughton early Sunday evening was extinguished, causing only moderate damage to the front corner of the brick building. Once a machine shop, the structure is now used as storage for building materials by its owner, Stoughton Fire Chief Mark Dolloff said. It is located at the end of Southworth Ct., which is off Canton St. The fire started around 6 p.m. on July 15 on a large stack of pallets in close proximity to the building, but then spread to the roof area hanging over the structure, and then to the interior of the building, Dolloff said. Crews needed to run about 1,000 feet of hose from the …
Sunday, April 15, 2012
The Stoughton, Easton and Canton Fire Departments responded to the scene of the brush fire at Taxiera Road in Stoughton early Saturday afternoon.
A man was taken to the hospital with burns after a controlled fire in the backyard of a Stoughton home went awry Saturday afternoon. The Stoughton Fire Department responded to the scene of the brush fire at 81 Taxiera Road at 12:33 p.m. on April 14, Captain Jim Bertram of he SFD said. The street is located off School St., near its intersection with West St. The controlled fire was set in the yard of 81 Taxiera Road, but got out of hand, went into the woods, and spread to parts of four yards - the yard next door at 91 Taxiera Rd. and two yards on Zabrosky Ave., the street that runs behind Taxiera. There was no damage to any of the homes, but they were in danger, Bertram said. There were sheds, fences and pallets in the area that were …
Saturday, March 24, 2012
The house, located at 49 Winfisky Dr. in Stoughton, is deemed a “total loss,” by Stoughton Fire Chief Dolloff. All residents and pets made it out of the home safely.
A fire at a home on Winfisky Dr. in Stoughton caused significant damage to the rear of the structure, but all five residents home at the time were able to make it out safely, as were the family’s four dogs. The fire started at 2:01 p.m. on Saturday, March 24 at 49 Winfisky Dr., located in a neighborhood off Bay Rd in Stoughton. “The first arriving companies had heavy fire and heavy black smoke coming from the home. You could see it from approximately half a mile away,” Stoughton Fire Chief Mark Dolloff said. “The fire traveled throughout the attic area [and] also through the whole basement area,” Dolloff said. “[Firefighters] had to open up a lot of walls to find the fire throughout the building.” Dolloff said the fire is under …
Saturday, October 8, 2011
Stoughton, Sharon and Canton firefighters responded. There were no injuries, but an estimated $50,000 in damage.
An afternoon fire at a Stoughton condo unit displaced a Stoughton family on Saturday. The fire at the four-unit building at 12 Patricia Drive caused no injuries but there was an estimated $50,000 in damage, Stoughton Fire Capt. Don Jasmin said. Patricia Drive is located in the Knollsbrook Condominiums neighborhood near Cobbs Corner. Stoughton, Sharon and Canton firefighters responded to the fire, which was reported around 3 p.m. The fire began on the first floor, Jasmin said. Some smoke and an extension of the fire rose to the second story. The cause of the fire is under investigation, but does not appear suspicious, Jasmin said. The displaced family is staying at a relative’s house, he said. The other three apartments remain occupied.