For the first time since the 2000 season, the Bridgewater State football team played in the NCAA Division 3 tournament. The Bears earned an at-large spot after finishing with a 9-1 record and took on Widener University, Saturday at noon in Chester, PA.
Bridgewater State lost 44-14 to finish the season at 9-2.
Bridgewater State's roster is full of local talent, including two players from Stoughton.
Stoughton's Matt Green, a junior wide receiver, is having a big year for Bridgewater with a team-leading 26 catches for 434-yards and six touchdowns. The Stoughton High grad has carried the ball 14 times for 102 yards and a touchdown and has four tackles.
Anthony Ferzoco, a senior linebacker from Stoughton (and a SHS grad), is also on the team. He has four tackles and one assist.
Other locals on the Bears include:
- Easton - Don Shanis, junior linebacker.
- Foxborough - Chris Barrett, senior defensive back, who has made two tackles in eight games.
- Mansfield - Bob Brunelle, sophomore linebacker; James Ridlen, junior offensive lineman; Michael Nordberg, junior center.
- Norton - Mike Glassman, senior tight end; Cameron Moitoza (Coyle-Cassidy), junior center; Ryan Fleming, junior defensive end.
- Wrentham - King Philip-Mike Viola, freshman wide receiver with four catches for 51-yards; Matt Gretchell, sophomore defensive back; Matt Monahan is a senior captain at wide-receiver with 18 catches for 227-yards and two touchdowns.