There was plenty of excitement this past Friday, week 9, in the Hockomock League, but just one of the games had an impact on the playoff race - the Kelly-Rex Division matchup between Taunton and Mansfield (a 35-14 win by Mansfield).
However, week 10 on the Hockomock gridiron features key division showdowns between Sharon and Foxborough in the Davenport and King Philip/North Attleboro and Franklin/Mansfield in the Kelly-Rex.
KP, NA, Franklin and Mansfield all have just one division loss, so the winner of those two games will have the upper hand going into the final game of the regular season on Thanksgiving. If Sharon beats Foxborough, the Eagles clinch the Davenport, but if Foxborough wins, Sharon, Foxborough and Stoughton will all be vying for the Davenport title on Thanksgiving.
Below is a week 9 recap, star players, standings, and a week 10 schedule.
Week 9 Recap
- Stoughton High, led by three passing touchdowns from quarterback Dan Eckler (to Marcus Middleton, Frankie Morris and Aaron Mack), as well as solid defensive play (forcing three turnovers and blocking a punt), improved to 8-1 with a win over Attleboro (4-5) Friday night in Stoughton. Stoughton led 26-0 at the end of the third quarter, with the Blue Bombardiers scoring their lone touchdown (a Tim Walsh pass to Cotey Martinez) about midway through the fourth. Click here for a full recap.
- Foxborough's defense forced six East Bridgewater turnovers, including four first-half interceptions en route to a non-league win. Quarterback Mike Slaby threw for two touchdowns and Kiivone Howard scored his 19th rushing touchdown of the season on a two-yard run in the second quarter Friday night. East Bridgewater backup quarterback Mike Kelly threw an 18-yard touchdown pass to Owen Harrington for the Vikings' lone score of the game. Click here for a full recap.
- King Philip improved to 8-1 overall with a dominating win over Oliver Ames (5-4) Friday night. The Warriors were led by Sam McDonald's two touchdowns and a stifling defensive that held OA to only one first down in the first half. The Tigers were able to generate offense late with Jeremiah Troy and a Nick Cidado touchdowns, but it was too little, too late to defeat the powerful Warriors. Click here for a full recap.
- Mansfield (6-3), despite losing star running back Robert Rapoza with an ankle injury, still beat Taunton (2-7) in a key Kelly-Rex Division matchup Friday night in Taunton. Mansfield showed its depth by leaning on the rest of the team, Kevin Makie, Chris Buchanan, Brendan Hill, and company to come out victorious. Mansfield scored five touchdowns in the win. Click here for a full recap.
- Franklin (7-2) was held scoreless in the third and fourth quarters of Friday's home game vs. Sharon (7-2), but the Panthers held on for the two-touchdown win, thanks to three first-half scores (runs by Kyle Finamore and Nick Zucco and a Zucco pass to Robert Dellorco). Sharon, trailing 21-0, scored its lone touchdown in the fourth quarter on a Sean O'Neill pass to Adam Banks. Click here for a full recap.
North Attleboro 49, Canton 30
- North Attleboro (6-3) built a 21-6 lead at the end of one and a 42-18 lead at the half en route to a 49-30 win over visiting Canton (1-6) Friday night. Dwayne Hunter scored three rushing touchdowns for the Red Rocketeers in the win, while North Attleboro QB Ryan Perron had two touchdowns rushing and another passing. Click here for a scoring recap.
Week 9 Stars
- Stoughton quarterback Dan Eckler finished 8 of 12 passing for an even 200 yards, with 3 touchdown passes to three different receivers in Stoughton's win over Attleboro.
- Foxborough quarterback Mike Slaby, a senior, threw two perfect touchdown passes of 19 yards and 18 yards to build a 21-0 Foxborough lead in the first half of the Warriors' win over East Bridgewater.
- Sharon quarterback Sean O'Neill threw for 96 yards and a touchdown in a loss to Franklin.
- Canton's Elias Camacho had two rushing touchdowns (from 3-yards and 63-yards out) and a 23-yard pass catch for a TD in the Bulldogs' loss to North Attleboro.
- Attleboro receiver Cotey Martinez finished with 8 catches for 81 yards and a touchdown in a loss to Stoughton.
- Mansfield running back Kevin Makie finished with 126 yards rushing and a touchdown on 16 carries in a win over Taunton.
- King Philip's Sam McDonald had a 66-yard punt return for a touchdown and later added a 20-yard touchdown reception in a win over Oliver Ames.
- Oliver Ames quarterback Nick Cidado had a 57-yard touchdown pass and a 42-yard touchdown run on a quarterback keeper in a loss to King Philip.
Standings (based on division record)
Team (overall rec)
(division games in bold)
Stoughton (8-1)2-1 W2
Foxborough (7-2)2-1 W4
Oliver Ames (5-4)0-2 L3
Canton (1-6)0-2 L6
Team (overall rec)
(division games in bold)Mansfield (6-3) 3-1 W1 Franklin, Foxborough King Philip (8-1) 2-1 W2
@NA, FranklinFranklin (7-2)
@Mansfield, @KP North Attleboro (6-3) 2-1 W3 KP, @Attleboro Taunton (2-7) 1-3 L1 @Attleboro, Coyle Cassidy Attleboro (4-5) 0-3 L5 Taunton, NA
Week 10 Schedule
Friday, Nov. 9:
- Oliver Ames at Canton, 6 p.m.
- Stoughton at Bridgewater-Raynham, 7 p.m. (non-league)
- Franklin at Mansfield, 7 p.m.
- Taunton at Attleboro, 7 p.m.
Saturday, Nov. 10:
- Foxborough at Sharon, 1 p.m.
- King Philip at North Attleboro, 7 p.m.