This upcoming Thursday’s Thanksgiving morning game between Stoughton and Canton marks the 87th consecutive time the two schools have gone head to head on the holiday.
The rivalry dates back to 1926. Stoughton will play host to this year’s game (Thursday, Nov. 22, 10 a.m. at Stoughton High).
Stoughton holds a 43-39-4 edge in the all-time series, aided by having won the past seven Thanksgiving games, dating back to 2005, including last year's 27-7 victory in Canton. The Black Knights will look to make it eight in a row this year.
While Stoughton hasn’t always dominated the series - Canton won all but one game between 1976-1991 - the Black Knights have taken control of the series under head coach Greg Burke.
Since 1995, Stoughton has lost just twice on Thanksgiving (2003 and 2004), having won 15 of the last 17 meetings.
During this current seven-game winning streak, Stoughton has outscored Canton 229-35, notching two shutouts against the Bulldogs (2006 and 2009).
Can Stoughton (9-1, 2-1 in the Davenport in 2012) continue it’s recent Thanksgiving success, or will Canton (2-6, 1-2 in the Davenport) snap the Black Knights’ win streak?
Not able to make it to the Stoughton-Canton Thanksgiving football game? Want to know the scores of the other Hockomock League games? Follow all the action with our LIVE blog, which will be posted on the site prior to the start of the game. Kickoff for all games is Thursday at 10 a.m.
Stoughton-Canton: A Series Snapshot
Statistics from the Hockomock League Football Website:
- All-time record: Stoughton leads series, 43-39-4
- Total points scored: Stoughton 1231; Canton 928
- Current streak: Stoughton has won 7 in a row
- Largest margin of victory: 48 points (Canton won 48-0 in 1986)
- Stoughton’s longest winning streak: 8 (1995-2002)
- Canton’s longest winning streak: 9 (1983-1991)
- Home Records: Stoughton 22-19-2; Canton 20-21-2
- Away Records: Stoughton 21-20-2; Canton 19-22-2
- All-time scores: