After honoring the Class of 2012 the week before at and at , Stoughton High School held an assembly honoring standout students in the .
Four certificates and 11 book awards were presented to deserving juniors at the annual Junior Awards ceremony, held Monday, June 11 in the .
The junior award recipients included Daniel Block, Benjamin Call, Niamh Fennessy, Nicholas Keith, Kelsie LaFerriere, Joy Liu, Adam Lurie, Marie Maillet, Timothy McGrath, Will McGrath, Nzinga Moore, Jessica Morse, Alexander Peixinho, Rachel Romeiro, Brianna Shores and Christina Solem.
"Many colleges and universities offer books and certificates to honor the academic, extracurricular, leadership and volunteer work of members of the junior class. Recipients are encouraged to apply to the college or university from which they received their award. While receipt of a book award does not guarantee admission to the college or university, it will get the recipient’s application a second look," according to a press release from Stoughton High.
Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award - Timothy McGrath
- The Bausch & Lomb Honorary Science Award is presented to a junior who has high achievement and rigor in science classes and a high PSAT math and/or SAT math score, and is given to a junior who demonstrates exceptional promise in the sciences.
Boston College Book Award - Brianna Shores
- The Boston College Book Award is presented to a student who reflects Boston College’s ethos of academic excellence, leadership, service and high moral character.
Brown Book Award - Niamh Fennessy
- The Brown Book Award is presented to honor a student who best combines academic excellence with clarity in written and spoken expression.
Colby Book Award - Kelsie LaFerriere
- The Colby Book Award is presented to a student who has shown outstanding academic achievement and has contributed significantly to the school community.
Dartmouth Book Award - Joy Liu
- The Dartmouth Book Award is given to a student in the top 10% of the Junior Class. The student has attained an outstanding combined academic average in college preparatory classes, two of which include math and English. Above all, the selected student has demonstrated outstanding leadership in a highly visible school sponsored activity and/or service to the community.
Holy Cross Book Award - Daniel Block
- The Holy Cross Book Award is presented to a junior who has achieved academic excellence and has admirable personal qualities. The student should be in the top 5-10% of their class and show sincere concern for others and a responsible attitude in all of his or her endeavors.
Princeton Book Award - Alexander Peixinho
- The Princeton Book Award is presented to a student who has demonstrated outstanding personal traits of character, leadership, and performance in sports, music, student government, service to the community, or other extracurricular activities. The student is in the top five percent of the class academically and achieved appropriate high performance in the PSAT or SAT.
Regis College Book Award - Christina Solem
- The Regis College Book Award is presented to a student who has demonstrated excellent written and oral communication skills, displayed academic promise, and exhibited exceptional leadership qualities.
Rensselaer Medal - Jessica Morse
- The Rensselaer Medal is presented to promising secondary school students who have distinguished themselves in math and science. This award recognizes the superlative academic achievement of young men and women and serves to motivate them toward careers in science, engineering and technology.
Saint Michael’s Book Awards - Marie Maillet and Will McGrath
- Saint Michael’s College provides two book awards to be presented to both a male and female student. The students should exhibit the characteristics of an ideal Saint Michael’s student, based specifically on achievement in academics and social conscience evidenced through commitment to community service, issues of peace and justice and concern for others.
Smith Book Award - Nzinga Moore
- The Smith College Book Award is presented to young women who exemplify the academic achievement, leadership qualities and concern for others that characterize the thousands of women who have graduated from Smith College.
Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony Award - Adam Lurie
- The Frederick Douglass and Susan B. Anthony Award from the University of Rochester is presented to a junior who has demonstrated commitment to understanding and addressing difficult social issues, shows leadership and a dedication to community action. The student should also have strong grades and rigorous courses taken in the humanities and social sciences.
The George Eastman Young Leaders Award - Rachel Romeiro
- The George Eastman Young Leaders Award from the University of Rochester is presented to a junior who shows strong leadership in both school and the community, has high grades in challenging courses, and has extensive involvement in extracurricular activities.
University of Rochester Xerox Award for Innovations & Information Technology - Nicholas Keith
- The University of Rochester Xerox Award for Innovations & Information Technology is award to a student who has a strong interest in innovation and/or information technology and has a high level of achievement in this area.
Yale Book Award - Benjamin Call
- The Yale Book Award is presented to a student who exemplifies the characteristics of a Yale University student. The junior should possess outstanding personal character and intellectual promise.