Less than 48 hours before Commencement, the annual Class Night exercises were held for the Class of 2012.
Seniors, their family members, and school faculty and administration gathered in the SHS auditorium Tuesday evening, June 5, for a celebration of this year's graduates.
"This night is for you," Superintendent of Schools Dr. Marguerite Rizzi said in her opening remarks. "It's to celebrate the work that you've done; the accomplishments of your school career; the things you've learned; the ways in which you have stretched and grown; and also the things in which you have enjoyed."
In addition to Dr. Rizzi, Class Vice President Marisa Harris and Salutatorian Edward Ruddy addressed the senior class, as did SHS Principal Matt Colantonio (who served as master of ceremonies) and Senior Class Advisor Nicole Cardoso.
Alicia Macomber sang the National Anthem and Class Secretary Nicole Barton recited the Pledge of Allegiance. Class President Kasey Derochea and Class Treasurer Malykah Lopes also spoke.
Senior members of the SHS Chorus performed for a final time.
Yearbook editors Felicia Baptista (a senior) and Jordan Angelos (a junior) presented a copy of the 2012 Yearbook to Michael Sheehan. His wife, Jane, a former guidance counselor and guidance director at Stoughton High, passed away in March. The yearbook was dedicated in her memory.
The highlight of the evening was the screening of the Video Yearbook.
Prior to that, multiple awards and honors were presented.
- The Sara McNeill Scholarship went to Deirdre Simms
- The Deirdre Riordan Scholarship went to Stephanie Herr, Jess Freitas and Jackie Kuhn
- The Daughters of the American Revolution Good Citizenship Award went to Julia Quattrucci
- Arden Tran was recognized for receiving a National Merit Scholarship Program Award
- Department Achievement Medals were presented to: Nicholas Selby (art); Brian Kaplan (business and technology); Michael Silveira (drama); Lauren Cellucci (English); Adam Elmowitz (instrumental music); Taylor Goodrich (journalism); Kevin Roopcharan (mathematics and natural/applied sciences); Chrystal Holland (physical education); Kevin Richard (physical education); Dahlia Kushinsky (social studies); Danish Dumornay (vocal music); and Thais Borges (world languages)
- The Scholar Athlete Award went to Mark Phan and Heather Baeta
- Distinguished Student Awards went to Loreen Louiny and Zachary Finer for Scholastic Excellence; Katherine Chlus and Kevin Richard for Distinguished Athlete; and Derek Scarlett and Jillianna Farietta for Musical Excellence
- The Student Achievement Award went to Malykah Lopes
- The Black Knight School Spirit Award went to Nicholas Aliquo and Valerie Szeto
- Joshua Dressler and Arden Tran were honored for being named Science Olympiad Team MVPs
- The E.A. Jones Distinguished Student Award went to Stephanie Amaral and Joseph Ialuna
- The Jewish War Veterans Award went to Joshua Dressler
- NCTA Future Educator Book Award went to Lauren Cellucci
- Five seniors from the Step Up to Excellence Program received $1,500 Prone Family Foundation Scholarships - Felicia Baptista, Danisha Dumornay, Anthony Jeudy, Shreeya Khatiwada and Jasmine Scott.
- The Louis LaGrasta Memorial Scholarship was awarded to Nolan Fraine
- The 2012 Horatio Alger Massachusetts Scholar was awarded to Thamare Isme
- The 2011-2012 National Hispanic Recognition Program (NHRP) Scholars was awarded to Jilliana Farietta.
- The Elsie Frank Scholarship Award went to Alana Joseph
- The Otis Civilian Advisory Council awarded a $1,000 scholarship to Samantha Pellegrini.
- Vanessa Lopes-McCoy received a $1,000 scholarship from Christopher Columbus Lodge #216 Brockton/Order Son’s of Italy in America and $500 Gladys Spadea Memorial Scholarship.
- Minerva Lodge 1846 Scholarship awarded a $500 scholarship to Jordan Benson.
- Golden Knight Awards were presented to Larry Hixon, Alana Joseph, Keion Lugay, Kristina Kozak and Michael Silveira.
Take a look at the photo gallery for scenes from the evening. There are almost 150 pictures posted.