The State Fire Marshal's office determined it was an electrical fire that in an at a multi-family home on Park Street in Stoughton on Tuesday.
The received a call at 1:22 a.m. on May 1 for a smell of smoke at 34/36 Park St. in Stoughton, in what ended up being a three-alarm fire at the 2.5 story wood frame structure.
"The cause of the fire was electrical and it started in the ceiling between the 2nd and 3rd floors," State Fire Marshal's office spokesperson Jennifer Mieth told Stoughton Patch in an e-mail.
"The fire was jointly investigated by the Stoughton Fire Department and State Police assigned to the Office of the State Fire Marshal," Mieth said.
While five families were displaced, there were no reports of injuries to civilians or to the crews that responded, according to SFD Captain Doug Campbell.
Kat Powers of the Red Cross said that four of the 17 victims are children under the age of 12.
May happens to be National Electrical Safety Month, Mieth said.
Check out a from the State Fire Marshal's office and click on the link to visit their Electrical Safety Page.
For full coverage of the May 1 fire, click here: