The celebrated National Fire Prevention Week from Oct. 9 to 15, reminding residents of the importance of fire safety and prevention through school visits, fire drills and its annual Open House.
Last Saturday’s Open House, held at Stoughton’s , was well attended. “It was really busy from eleven to twelve, but pretty busy all day,” SFD Captain Doug Campbell said.
Papa Ginos, who sponsored the event, provided a pizza lunch for attendees and the fire department provided the entertainment. Children had the opportunity to put out a “house fire” with a real fire hose, check out all the equipment, and of course explore the fire apparatus.
Other children got hands-on fire safety education with school fire drills, like the Jones School students shown in the photo gallery.
Others got classroom visits from members of the SFD.
Stoughton’s Fire Safety Educator, Firefighter Jack Hussey, visited (at the ) during Fire Prevention Week.
After watching the short animated video, Sparky’s ABCs of Fire Safety (by the National Fire Protection Association), Hussey demonstrated the iconic “stop, drop and roll” and the “transformation” of a firefighter into full gear.
As he put on each new layer of protective clothing, Hussey posed the question, “Am I still Firefighter Jack?” in hope of eliminating the possible fear if the children were to experience an actual fire.
The SFD Open House on Oct. 15 may have technically concluded the 2011 Fire Prevention Week, Lt. Jim Campbell explains that although the school visits and drills are highlighted this time of year, fire prevention education takes place year round.
And this education is not limited to school age children. Whenever possible, Jim Campbell imparts information of the most up to date and effective preventative measures to Stoughton community on a whole.
One of which is the advancement in some detectors. Jim Campbell cites the benefits of newer photoelectric smoke alarms versus the traditional ionization smoke alarms that most homeowners currently have.
“Photoelectric alarms are better at detecting smoldering fires which are more prevalent and dangerous," he said. "People die from the smoke not the fire typically, these alarms are worth the additional expense.”