There was a different kind of steam coming from the women's sauna
at 24/7 Family Fitness on Tosca Drive in Stoughton Tuesday afternoon.
towel left behind in the sauna was too close to the heater
and caught on fire shortly after 3:30 p.m. on August 13, according to
Captain Bob O'Donnell of the Stoughton Fire Department. A wooden rack
nearby also caught on fire.
system activated and put the small fire out, O'Donnell said. The fire
was contained to the sauna and there was minimal damage because of the
drainage system in the locker room area, according to O'Donnell.
O'Donnell didn't believe there was anyone in the sauna at the time of the fire. There were no injuries.
O'Donnell indicated the sprinkler and fire alarm both functioning properly helped to prevent the fire from spreading.
Patrons in the gym were temporarily evacuated at the time of the incident, but the gym has since reopened.
While the Stoughton Fire
Department responded to the call at 24/7, Canton Fire provided station
coverage, and the Canton and Avon Fire Departments responded to a
medical call in Stoughton during this time.