Fire Department Looking to Help Stoughton Firefighter Who Lost Home in Blaze

According to a post on the Stoughton Fire Rescue Facebook page, Firefighter Jack Hussey and his family "lost their home and all personal items" in a fire Friday afternoon in Abington. The SFD is collecting donations.

The Stoughton Fire Department is looking to help one of its own after firefighter Jack Hussey lost his home in an Abington fire Friday afternoon.

According to a post on the Stoughton Fire Rescue Facebook page:

Firefighter Jack Hussey and his family lost their home and all personal items to fire [Friday]. If any of our Facebook Family would like to help Jack and his family by way of a donation, you may do so by making checks payable to:

Stoughton Firefighters Local 1512 and mail to:

Stoughton Firefighters Local 1512
1550 Central Street
Stoughton, MA 02072

Hussey, who lives in Abington with his wife and his teenage daughter, was not on duty Friday, but was in Stoughton Friday morning for the funeral of Edward Rush, father of Stoughton firefighter Jim Rush, Captain Scott Breen said.

The fire broke out Friday around 12:45 p.m. in Hussey's single-family home on Doris Dr. in Abington, the Brockton Enterprise reported.

There were no reported injuries.

"We like to play practical jokes every once in a while, being close to Christmas I thought it was a joke at first, and then no, it's serious," Hussey told WHDH, Channel 7. "I'm the one who puts out the fires, I'm not supposed to be the person the fire happens to."

Hussey was named Stoughton Firefighter of the Year by the Michael Romanuk V.F.W. Post 1645 during the V.F.W.'s annual awards ceremony this past May.

"Jack is the first guy to volunteer and help out here," Captain Breen said, noting Hussey's charitable work with the Muscular Dystrophy Association.

"He's the kind of guy that people would want to help if they can," Breen said.

Christine Iacobucci December 22, 2012 at 12:09 AM
Please consider donating to this great fire fighter and active Stoughton volunteer, this is a terrible loss...especially at Christmas time.
Paula Stripling December 22, 2012 at 04:34 AM
Jack and I were partners at Cataldo Amb for many years, it breaks my heart that this had happened. Jack is trully a special person who has always been there for so many. My check will be in the mail.
TJ December 22, 2012 at 11:34 PM
The SFD responded to a dryer incident at our house last week. These guys are great at what they do and very courteous and helpful. My wife and I feel awful this happened to one of the men who put their own lives ahead of our own to protect. Please consider donating to help him and his family


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something