Waldo’s Regiment: Stoughton’s Hometown Heroes of the Civil War

During the Civil War many of Stoughton’s residents were part of a variety of Army and Navy units. Stoughton’s boys populated three regiments; learn more about Waldo's regiment, the men of Co. E. 35th Massachusetts Infantry, here.

During the Civil War many of Stoughton’s residents fought for the Union in a variety of Army and Navy units. 

Stoughton’s boys populated three regiments – Co. I. 12th Massachusetts Infantry; Co. K. 9th Massachusetts Infantry (Stoughton’s Irish Company); and Co. E. 35th Massachusetts Infantry. 

(1844-1864), whose are being featured on this website, and are available at the Stoughton Historical Society, was part of the 35th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry

The 35th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry was organized at Camp Stanton in Lynnfield, Massachusetts.  The regiment consisted originally of soldiers from Massachusetts, and some later from Germany and France as reinforcements in 1864. 

The Regiment was under the command of Col. Edward A. Wild and left for war on August 22, 1862 and reached Washington on August 24.  The regiment was assigned to Ferrero’s (2nd) Brigade under Sturgis’ (2nd) Division, and Reno’s 9th Corps in the Army of the Potomac.

The regiment took part in the Battle of South Mountain, September 14, 1862 when their Colonel lost his left arm.  Later that month they lost 69 men who were killed or mortally wounded at the Battle of Antietam on September 17, 1862.  They would suffer heavy losses again during the Battle of Fredericksburg on December 13, 1862. 

That winter the regiment camped near Falmouth, Virginia. 

The regiment was transferred to Newport News, Virginia on February 9, 1863 and was sent into Kentucky.  Later they were stationed with Gen. Ulysses S. Grant at Vicksburg, Mississippi. 

They participated in the pursuit of Confederate Gen. Johnston’s army to Jackson, Miss.  In October 1863 they were stationed in Knoxville, Tennessee as a defensive force against Gen. Longstreet and his forces. 

Later moving back towards Virginia, the regiment was in charge of the supply train during the Battle of Wilderness. They were later engaged during the last assault during the Battle of Spotsylvania Courthouse on May 17, 1864.  On May 25, 1864 the regiment would again be engaged at the North Anna River

The regiment would later participate at the Battle of Cold Harbor, June 3, 1864; the Siege of Petersburg, Virginia; the Crater fight of July 30, 1864; and at the Weldon Railroad on August 19, 1864. 

The regiment was later transferred to Curtin’s (1st) Brigade under Potter’s (2nd) Division.  The regiment joined in the pursuit of Gen. Robert E. Lee’s army and was at Farmville when the word of the surrender arrived.  The regiment returned and was mustered out of the army on June 27, 1865 at Readville, Massachusetts.

I thought I would introduce the other Stoughton veterans from this Regiment; perhaps one is your ancestor? All of them were bookmakers before enlistment unless otherwise noted.

  • Persons Bartlett, age 30
  • David A. Beal, age 43
  • Loring R. Brackett, a shoe counter maker, age 29
  • Avery A. Capen, age 31
  • George P. Gill, age 18
  • Henry M. Gill, age 19
  • James M. Hall, age 29
  • George W. Hawes, age 29
  • Massena B. Hawes, a school teacher, age 23
  • M. Edgar Hawes, age 26
  • Everett Jernagan, age 18
  • Charles T. Lawless, a student, age 18
  • William Lawless, a boot tree maker, age 19
  • Lot J. Madan, a boot tree maker, age 33
  • Henry A. Monk, age 19
  • James H. Osgood, age 18
  • Alonzo T. Raymond, age 22
  • James T. F. Smith, age 27
  • George L. Young, age 36.

Almost half from this company of Stoughton soldiers, including Waldo, died in battle or as the result of war-related injuries.

  • David Ansel Beal due to his disability died April 26, 1864 at Stoughton.
  • Loring Reed Bracket, wounded at the Battle of Antietam on Sept. 17, 1862, died from his wounds Nov. 10, 1862 at Frederick, Maryland.
  • Avery A. Capen killed December 13, 1862 at Fredericksburg, Virginia.
  • Massena Ballou Hawes killed July 7, 1863 in an accident near Big Black River, Mississippi.
  • Everett Jernagan died of disease January 13, 1863 at Falmouth, Virginia.
  • James T. F. Smith killed September 17, 1862 at Antietam, Maryland.
  • George L. Young killed September 30, 1864 at Poplar Spring Church, Virginia.

Waldo, who was only 20 at the time, died from “wounds received in battle” at the former Armory Square Hospital on June 7, 1864. Check back next week for more diary entries and another letter sent home to his parents.

Click and to read the previous two entries in this series.

Dwight Mac Kerron August 22, 2011 at 02:43 PM
The names of Hawes and Gill show up regularly in the lists of local soldiers in the Rev. War as well.


More »
Got a question? Something on your mind? Talk to your community, directly.
Note Article
Just a short thought to get the word out quickly about anything in your neighborhood.
Share something with your neighbors.What's on your mind?What's on your mind?Make an announcement, speak your mind, or sell somethingPost something
See more »