Many churches in Stoughton were the subject of penny postcards once sold in town. The following gallery gives you a highlight of many structures no longer standing in our town.
Included in the gallery:
- The First Parish Universalist Church, which stood where the current structure does today. The original building was dedicated June 2, 1808 and sadly burned down 45 years ago on June 29, 1966.
- The First Congregational Church, which stood north of the VFW Hall on Washington Street. The Congregational Church was dedicated January 28, 1852 for a cost of $12,000. It was another historic structure lost to fire (March 9, 1942).
- The Immaculate Conception Church was once a wooden structure and stood where the present edifice does today on Canton and School Streets.
- The Methodist Church on Pleasant Street is one of the few 19th century churches left in Stoughton. The Methodist Church was dedicated December 5, 1866. In the mid-1980's the original steeple was replaced.
- The Trinity Episcopal Church on Freeman Street, built in 1898, is still standing and is still used as a church today.
- The Methodist Episcopal Church, where members of the Punkapoag Indians worshipped in the 19th and early 20th century. This structure stood from 1836 to 1943. It was located in North Stoughton where Target Stands today.
- The former residence of Dr. Charles L. Swan was sold December 27, 1948 to the First Congregational Church as a temporary home. This house was dedicated as the First Congregational Church on November 20, 1949. Later, this was also the home of the Ahavath Torah Synagogue in 1958. This structure is now used for residential apartments, just north of the Stoughton Town Hall at 30 Pearl Street.