DOIN' IT FOR DIANE A HUGE SUCCESS! Details will be forthcoming, but it appears that the has topped all their previous events.
The most recent one, held on Friday, April 27 at the Portuguese National Club, attracted a smaller crowd than some of the previous events (about 100 people), but sponsorships increased, and those attending opened their hearts and wallets to those less fortunate.
More than $20,000 was generated for Stoughton's two food pantries!
There was an amazing array of delicious desserts from Bob's Foodmart, Catering by Linda, Costco, Courtyard by Marriott, Dunkin' Donuts, IKEA, Ivy's Fine Cakes, Lee Policow, New England Sinai Hospital, Panera Bread, the Portuguese National Club, Shaw’s Supermarket, Stop & Shop in Marshfield & Stoughton, Stoughton Bakery, Target, Texas Roadhouse, TGI Fridays, The Chateau Restaurant, and X & O Restaurant.
There was a frenzied live auction, featuring Red Sox tickets (from Selectman Steve Anastos); A Martha's Vineyard Week's Vacation Rental from Hank Polanzak; A 3 Hour Classic Limo Ride from John Sawyer, coupled with a Christina's Fireside Grill gift certificate and a Curtis Liquors gift basket; Two Pairs of Celtics Tickets from Mike & Jill at Island Street Automotive; Patriots Tickets from Joe & "Ducky" Keefe; and a "Food Frenzy,” featuring $175 worth of restaurant gift certificates.
There were SO many raffles and silent auction items, that I don't have the space to thank all the donors here, and after serving as MC of the event, I still don't have my voice!
The Food Foundation of Stoughton, Inc. is the new sponsor of this event, taking over from the Stoughton Chamber of Commerce. It is a 501-C3 nonprofit. Their Executive Board consists of President Elizabeth Snell, Vice President Maria Pimental, Secretary Nadine Israel, and Treasurer Dori Frankel.
Randolph Savings Bank was again the event's major sponsor. And, the bottom line was helped greatly by Jill Souza from Island Steet Automotive, who initiated a donor card program, and participated in the Oil for Food Program with Stoughton Chamber Chairman Chris Petrie and Windsor Tire.
The DIFD 2012 Committee included Terry & Joanne Schneider, Anne Havlin, Christine Gallagher, Lucy O'Connor, Bridget Horan, Charley Verge, Suzanne Blacker, Hank Polanzak, Mark Snyder, David Fisher, Fred Yaitanes, Nadine Israel, Lisa Wheeler, Steve Kelly, Cindy Pazyra, Maria Pimental, Beth & Megan Snell, Jill Souza, Dori Frankel, Joyce Dwyer, Joan Foley, Chris Petrie, Joel Honig, Peg Carbone, Denis Donaghue, Jack Raeke, and Michael Crawford.
Entertainment was provided by the A Capella group, the Echoes, and by singers Joe "Kidd" Fernandes and Nicole Caramanica of "Double Impact."
I was happy to be the MC for the seventh year.
SECOND ANNUAL IT'S ELEMENTARY 5K ROAD RACE & FUN RUN DRAWS CROWD & RAISES MONEY! A nice crowd turned out Saturday, April 28, on a cold and crispy day for the Second Annual It's Elementary 5K Road Race and Fun Run at the .
Conceived by Rosanna Kelleher, the co-president of the Dawe School PTO, it is a fundraiser for ALL FIVE Stoughton elementary schools.
The event was a huge success, due much to the generosity of the event's sponsors. Kiddie Academy was the Premiere Sponsor. Blue Cross-Blue Shield of Massachusetts was the Platinum Sponsor. Randolph Savings Bank and Whole Person Health were Silver Sponsors. Bronze Sponsors included Farley Funeral Home, Stoughton Auto Body, Good Samaritan Hospital, HarborOne Credit Union, Knights of Columbus, Roche Bros. Supermarket, Walgreens and Walmart.
Kelleher wanted to thanks the Stoughton Auxiliary Police, Holbrook Emergency Services, Colonial Runners, Marathon Sports, Ocean Spray, Old Colony YMCA, and all the volunteers and sponsors for their help.
DJ Vaughan Enokian provided all the sound, and I was happy to be the emcee again this year, despite a scratchy voice as a result of the DIFD fundraiser the night before.
Kelleher reports that the event attracted 120 5K runners, and 50 Fun Run One Mile Runners. She estimates the event will net $10,000 for Stoughton's five elementary schools. It raised 25% more than its initial year!
Fun Run Winners included (first place tie) John Neves and Rami Hourabi; (second place) Tess Khoury; and (third place) Mary Thompson.
5K Winners were:
- Overall Men's: (1) Daniel Yifru of Stoughton, (2) Matthew DiTrolio of West Bridgewater, and (3) Jacob Berman of Sharon.
- Overall Women's: (1) Melissa Chester-Lentendre of Stoughton, (2) Laura Janelli of Stoughton; and (3) Emily Weldon of Randolph.
- Men 18 & Under: (1) Matt Moran of Brockton, (2) Matthew MacKay of Canton; and (3) Brian Tucker of Stoughton.
- Women 18 & Under: (1) Elizabeth Slade of Stoughton, (2) Gianna Grillone of Brockton, and (3) Hannah Willy of Stoughton.
- Men 19-29: (1) Joshua Henderson of Brighton and (2) William Reardon of Brockton.
- Women 19-29: (1) Carlie Whoriskey of Boston. (2) Sarah Wheeler of Mansfield, and (3)Tracy Wong of Canton.
- Men 30-39: (1) Mike Wilson of Stoughton, (2) Adam Kempner of Sharon, and (3) Eric Hubert.
- Women 30-39: (1) Kimberly Hedrick, (2) Jean Witt of Stoughton, and (3) Rebecca Doherty of Stoughton.
- Men 40-49: (1) Scott Grandfield of Rehobeth, (2) David Billo of Stoughton, and (3) Sean Doherty of Stoughton.
- Women 40-49: (1) Heather Luke of Taunton, (2) Chris Shannon of Stoughton, and (3) Kate Brown of Stoughton.
- Men 50-59: (1) Stephen Warren of Sharon, (2) Stephen Gigarjian of Stoughton, and (3) Joao Macedo of Stoughton.
- Women 50-59: (1) Barbara Purcell of Stoughton.
- Men 60 & Over: (1) Brad Kron of Brockton, (2) David Dore of South Easton and (3) George Wang of Stoughton.
- Women 60 & Over: (1) Elsie Gaydar of Stoughton
HAPPY BIRTHDAY: To Sylvia Gustowski, a freelance graphics designer from Stoughton. She studied at New England Institute for Art. To Chris Petrie, General Manager of Windsor Tire, and the Chairman of the Board of the Stoughton Chamber of Commerce.
Additional pictures from both the Doin' It For Diane Fundraiser and 5 School 5K event will be published in separate photo galleries on Stoughton Patch.