Christmas was celebrated on Dec. 25, but since the holiday fell on a Sunday this year, it is being observed on Monday, Dec. 26.
Therefore many government offices and banks will be closed.
Here's the list of what is open and closed in Massachusetts on Monday, Dec. 26, 2011:
- Gas Stations
- Retail Stores
- Convenience Stores
- Liquor Stores
- Gyms/Health Clubs
- Call ahead before heading to any of the above establishments to confirm they are open.
- Stock Market
- No mail delivery - All U.S post offices are closed
- Federal Offices
- State Offices
- Town Hall and Municipal Offices ()
- Schools ()
- Libraries ()
No Trash Pickup in Stoughton on Dec. 26
There will be no curbside trash collection on Monday, Dec. 26, following Christmas Day.
Trash collection for 12/26 will be scheduled for Tuesday, Dec. 27 in addition to the regular Tuesday collection. This is standard procedure for any holiday.
For safety reasons, the Stoughton DPW will discontinue pickup at dark on Tuesday, Dec. 27. Any rubbish not picked up on Tuesday, Dec. 27 will be picked up on Wednesday, Dec. 28.
All rubbish and recyclables must be curbside by 7 a.m. on your collection day. No barrel over 30-gallon size will be emptied. Large household appliances (metal items) must be called into the Public Works for appointment for pickup.
MBTA Service on Dec. 26
The MBTA holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
• Blue, Orange, Green, and Red line trains, buses, and trackless trolleys will operate on a Sunday schedule.
• Commuter rail trains will operate on a Saturday schedule.
• Inner Harbor Ferry service from Charlestown and Long Wharf will operate on a regular Weekend schedule.
• Hingham and Hull commuter boat service will not operate.
• Quincy ferries will operate on a Weekend Schedule.
• THE RIDE Service will not offer subscription service. Customers should contact their contractors for service information.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).