Here's the list of what is open and closed in most states on Martin Luther King, Jr. Day this year, Monday, January 16, 2012:
- Gas Stations
- Retail Stores
- Convenience Stores
- Liquor Stores
- Gyms/Health Clubs
- Call ahead before heading to any of the above establishments to confirm they are open.
- Stock Market
- No mail delivery - All U.S post offices are closed
- Federal Offices
- State Offices
- Town Hall and Municipal Offices ()
- Schools ()
- Libraries ()
No Trash Pickup in Stoughton on MLK Day
There will be no curbside trash collection on Monday, January 16, 2012, in observance of MLK Day.
Trash collection for 1/16 will be scheduled for Tuesday, January 17 in addition to the regular Tuesday collection. This is standard procedure for any holiday.
For safety reasons, the Stoughton DPW will discontinue pickup at dark on Tuesday, January 17. Any rubbish not picked up on Tuesday, January 17 will be picked up on Wednesday, January 18.
All rubbish and recyclables must be curbside by 7 a.m. on your collection day. No barrel over 30-gallon size will be emptied. Large household appliances (metal items) must be called into the Public Works for appointment for pickup.
MBTA Service on MLK Day
The MBTA holiday service schedule is available below and at www.mbta.com.
- Blue, Orange, and Red line trains, and Green line streetcars and trackless trolleys will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- Buses will operate on a Saturday schedule.
- Commuter rail trains will operate on its regular weekday schedule.
- Commuter boat services from Hingham, Hull, and Quincy will operate on regular weekday schedules.
- Inner Harbor Ferry Service from Charlestown to Long Wharf will operate on a regular weekday schedule.
- The RIDE will operate on a Saturday schedule.
For additional information on routes, schedules, and fares, please call the MBTA Customer Service Center at (617) 222-3200 or 1-800-392-6100 (hearing impaired TDD 617-222-5146).