TRIAD Chairman, recently facilitated a group discussion on Red Cross Disaster Preparedness at the .
Stoughton Fire Chief established the importance of this topic by polling the group as to how many seniors lost electricity during last summer’s hurricane/tropical storm.
With half of the group experiencing a loss of electricity, Dolloff continued to express the timeliness of this meeting with winter now upon us and the drastic impact that utility loss would have in colder temperatures.
The Red Cross commended Stoughton’s preparedness saying, “It’s fantastic.”
In case of an unanticipated emergency, the Red Cross stresses the importance of having three weeks of supplies on hand.
Some of the emergency supplies recommended include:
- Drinking Water - 1 gallon per person per day (for at least 3 days)
- Food - at least 3-day supply of non-perishable food
- National Weather Radios
- Car Cell Phone Charger
- Extra Food for Pets
- Extra Batteries
- First Aid Kit
- Sanitation and Personal Hygiene Items
- Copies of Personal Documents
- Family and Emergency Contact Information
- Extra Cash
- Ample alternate heating methods such as fireplaces or wood burning stoves
Some other best practices shared:
- Be sure to have a carbon monoxide detector
- Have chimneys cleaned every year
- Running water (a trickle) to prevent faucets from freezing
- Winterize your vehicle - keep emergency supplies in your car (including food and water)
- Keep gas tank full
Karen Hall, Stoughton’s Council on Aging Director, informed the group that anyone over the age of 60 could voluntary fill out a confidential form that includes information like next of contact, specific medical conditions (dialysis, insulin users, etc.), transportation dependent in addition to several other important considerations for the Council on Aging as well as Stoughton’s Fire and Police Departments.
Hall reiterated that this form will only be viewed by the aforementioned groups and will also be available in Portuguese.
TRIAD, a group that is comprised of members of law enforcement, seniors and support services, meets quarterly at the senior center. Their next meeting will be held on March 26, 2012.