Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Storm Stafety Tips
With a big snowstorm expected Friday, the Stoughton Fire Department passes along the following reminders via its Facebook page:
1.) Street parking is not allowed during the Winter Season. Be sure to park in your driveway, the police WILL ticket and tow your vehicle.
2.) Adopt a Fire Hydrant. If you have a hydrant in or near your yard, please take time out to clear snow from around it. In the event of a fire, the time firefighters spend attempting to access a hydrant buried in snow could be critical minutes if a rescue is needed.
3.) If you have direct vents for your gas furnace or water heater (vents pipes that run from the units and vent out of a side of your home) please be sure that snow remains clear if those pipes. Blockage could cause carbon monoxide to back up into the home. Happy Shoveling!!!
Fire Chief Mark Dolloff added the following:
- The Public Safety officials of the Town of Stoughton would like to inform the residents of the possibility of extended power outages due to the high winds associated with the approaching storm. If you are a resident who relies on oxygen or any electrical life support devices please be sure to make appropriate preparations now to insure these devices continue to function properly.
- The Stoughton Fire Department would like to remind all residents that they should be prepared for the approaching storm. Please use the following link to help prepare your disaster kit, www.ready.gov/basic-disaster-supplies-kit
The following is from the Stoughton Police Department via Facebook:
- In preparing for the snow, please plan to stay indoors and allow DPW to clear streets. If power goes down please call National Grid [1-800-465-1212] and not 911 as it can flood the system and please clear any hydrants near your home. Be safe and stay warm!
The following is from the Stoughton DPW:
- To insure rubbish/recycle pickup, all trash must be out by 7 a.m. on Friday, Feb. 8. We will not be returning."
2. Cowan to be Sworn in
Last week Governor Deval Patrick announced that his former chief of staff William “Mo” Cowan, 43, of Stoughton, would be the interim U.S. Senator - taking the place of former Senator John Kerry, who became Secretary of State - serving until a new senator is elected in the June 25 special election.
Thursday at noon, Cowan will be officially sworn in by Vice President Joe Biden. Govenor Patrick and fellow Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren are expected to among those in attendance.
Cowan lives in Stoughton with his wife, Stacy, and their two young sons, 8-year-old Miles and 4-year-old Grant.
3. Stoughton High Sports on Tap
Due to the expected snowstorm on Friday, the Stoughton High basketball games scheduled for that evening have been moved to Thursday, Feb 7. instead.
The Stoughton High girls' varsity basketball team hosts Foxborough Thursday at 6:30 p.m., while the SHS boys' varsity basketball team travels to Foxborough at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday. Freshmen games are at 3:30 p.m. and JV games are at 5 p.m.
This is senior night for the SHS girls' varsity team.
4. Thursday is Food Pantry Day in Stoughton
Stoughton resident Peg Carbone continues her effort to curb hunger in Stoughton, personally picking up donations for the food pantries every Thursday.
Here's a note from Peg: "I pick up non perishable food and also household items every Thursday, anywhere in Stoughton and deliver them to the food pantry. Please tell your friends and neighbors. One item, one bag or several, and I will pick them up every Thursday."
Haven't called to arrange a pickup? It's not too late. Call Peg at 508-889-1385 or send an email to email@example.com.
5. Signup for our Newsletter
Get all the latest Stoughton Patch headlines delivered right to your inbox. Click here to signup for our FREE email newsletter.