Stoughton's Green Catches on for Bridgewater State Football
The Bridgewater State University football played in the NCAA Division 3 tournament Saturday. The team includes two Stoughton High graduates, Matt Green and Anthony Ferzoco.
For the first time since the 2000 season, the Bridgewater State football team played in the NCAA Division 3 tournament. The Bears earned an at-large spot after finishing with a 9-1 record and took on Widener University, Saturday at noon in Chester, PA.
Bridgewater State lost 44-14 to finish the season at 9-2.
Bridgewater State's roster is full of local talent, including two players from Stoughton.
Stoughton's Matt Green, a junior wide receiver, is having a big year for Bridgewater with a team-leading 26 catches for 434-yards and six touchdowns. The Stoughton High grad has carried the ball 14 times for 102 yards and a touchdown and has four tackles.
Anthony Ferzoco, a senior linebacker from Stoughton (and a SHS grad), is also on the team. He has four tackles and one assist.
Other locals on the Bears include:
- Easton - Don Shanis, junior linebacker.
- Foxborough - Chris Barrett, senior defensive back, who has made two tackles in eight games.
- Mansfield - Bob Brunelle, sophomore linebacker; James Ridlen, junior offensive lineman; Michael Nordberg, junior center.
- Norton - Mike Glassman, senior tight end; Cameron Moitoza (Coyle-Cassidy), junior center; Ryan Fleming, junior defensive end.
- Wrentham - King Philip-Mike Viola, freshman wide receiver with four catches for 51-yards; Matt Gretchell, sophomore defensive back; Matt Monahan is a senior captain at wide-receiver with 18 catches for 227-yards and two touchdowns.