Rescued Dogs Succumb to Injuries From Smoke
Ace and Boo, the Chihuahuas rescued from a house fire Friday night, are not able to recover from lung damage, dying early Sunday morning.
The pair of chihuahuas the Stoughton Fire Department rescued from a house fire on Ralph Mann Drive New Year's Eve died early Sunday morning.
After Ace and Boo were retrieved from the house Friday night they were both unconscious due to smoke inhalation. But the dogs were treated by responders from the Fire and Police departments, regained consciousness and were later transported to The New England Animal Medical Center in West Bridgewater. No people were home at the time of the fire.
Unfortunately, the dogs were not able to make a full recovery. Boo was six-years-old and Ace was three.
Sisters Ashley and Melissa Belyea, holding back tears, spoke about Ace and Boo, whom they affectionately referred to as "the boys." They recalled how resilient both dogs had been in the past, overcoming various physical and health-related obstacles.
"They just were fighters," Melissa Belyea said of Ace and Boo. "They might have had the worst luck in the world, but they loved us no mater what. They were strong."
Both sisters thanked the Stoughton Fire and Police Departments for their efforts in rescuing the dogs.
"Without them my dogs wouldn't have had a chance to make it to the hospital," Melissa Belyea said. "Because of that we were able to say goodbye to the dogs."
Watch Patch reporter Ken Winokur's interview with Ashley and Melissa below.