Carbon Monoxide Exposure at Stoughton Convenience Store Sends Three to Hospital
Three people were exposed to elevated levels of carbon monoxide while stripping and refinishing the floors at Page’s on Pearl St. in Stoughton in the early morning hours.
Three people were transported to Good Samaritan Medical Center in Brockton early Friday morning after being exposed to elevated levels of carbon monoxide at Page’s Food Mart on Pearl St. in Stoughton, according to Capt. Douglas Campbell of the Stoughton Fire Department.
Stoughton Fire received a call at 4 a.m. that “three people were feeling sick” at Page’s, Campbell said.
Campbell said the three people were stripping and refinishing the floors at the convenience store, located at 458 Pearl St.
He said a propane-powered floor stripper is the cause of the carbon monoxide exposure, although it is unclear if the machine was malfunctioning or if it was being used improperly.
It took about three hours for Stoughton Fire crews to ventilate the building, and make it safe to re-open.
A telephone call to the store confirmed that Page’s will be open for business today (Friday). The store opened shortly after 7 a.m.
One engine, two ambulances and the shift commander responded from the Stoughton Fire Department. The conditions and the identities of the three people transported to Good Samaritan are unknown at this time.