5 Things, July 9: Summer Road Work Starts And Sales Tax Holiday Planned
Five Things You Need to Know Today: Stoughton DPW Set to Start Summer Road Construction Projects; Summer Nutrition Program Starts at the West School; Sales Tax Holiday; and more...
"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Stoughton DPW Set to Start Summer Road Construction Projects
The Stoughton DPW will start work on summer road construction projects Monday, July 9.
Note that not all projects will begin on July 9. The DPW will issue more details over the course of the summer regarding specific projects.
2. Summer Nutrition Program Starts at the West School
Lunch will be served free of charge to all school aged children, up to age 18, in the West School Cafeteria, Monday through Thursday from 11:15 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. All food must be consumed on the premises; no food is allowed to be taken home or off the property.
3. Sales Tax Holiday
Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick signed the state's $32.5 billion FY13 budget on Sunday, July 8, and according to a press release from his office, "proposed using a combination of FY12 and FY13 surplus funds and FY13 vetoes to address unfunded needs in FY13, including...an estimated $20 million in one-time settlement money to support an August sales tax holiday."
Last year, the sales tax holiday lifted the 6.25 percent levy on most items selling for less than $2,500.
A date for this year's sales tax holiday, typically held over a weekend, has not been announced.
The budget now heads back to the State Legislature for any potential overrides, before being finalized. An override requires a two-thirds vote in both the House and Senate.
4. Stoughton Public Library Summer Reading Activities
- 10 a.m. - Arts in the Park with Singer Wayne Potash (held at the South School playground; no registration necessary).
- 2 p.m. - Hip Hop Lessons (at the Stoughton Public Library; ages 7-11; pre-registration required)
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. - Zumba Dance Class (at the Stoughton Public Library; ages 11-17; pre-registration required)
5. Senior Center Activities
- 8 a.m. - Walking Club
- 9 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. - Tai Chi
- 9 a.m. - 10 a.m. - Coffee with Karen
- 10:45 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. - Line Dancing
- 2 p.m. - 3 p.m. - Strength Training
- LUNCH (11:15 a.m.) - Baked Ziti