5 Things, July 23: Stoughton Still Seeking Volunteers for Eight Town Boards/Committees
Five Things You Need to Know Today: Town Seeking Volunteers; Tickets go on Sale for Ice Cream Social; Summer Reading Activities (And More...)
"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Stoughton Still Seeking Volunteers for Eight Town Boards/Committees
Applications for appointment to the following Boards and Commissions will be accepted at the Town Manager’s Office, Town Hall, 10 Pearl Street, until
12 noon on Thursday, August 9th:
- Brockton Area Transit Representative - 1 vacancy, 3-year term
- Cable TV Advisory Committee - 4 vacancies, 3-year terms
- Cedar Hill Golf - 1 vacancy, 3-year term
- Commission on Disabilities - 1 vacancy, 1-year term
- Conservation Commission - 1 vacancy, 3-year term
- Council on Aging - 1 vacancy, 2-year term
- Cultural Council - 15 vacancies, 3-year terms
- Historical Commission - 2 vacancies, 3-year terms
Positions are voluntary. Applications are available at the Town Manager’s Office or on the Town of Stoughton website under Town Departments/Town Manager/Forms and Documents/Application for Board/Committee.
If you have any questions please contact Reggie at 781-341-1300 Ext. 9211 or by email at email@example.com.
2. Tickets go on Sale for Ice Cream Social
The annual ice cream social at the Senior Center will be held Thursday, August 23 at 12:30 p.m.
Daddy's Dairy will be providing the ice cream and Ron Lovett will be providing the musical entertainment.
Tickets go on sale Monday, July 23 for Stoughton residents ($2 per person). Tickets for out of town seniors go on sale Monday, August 13 ($5.50 per person).
3. Stoughton Public Library Summer Reading Activities
- 10 a.m. - Arts in the Park with Magician John Henry (held at the South School playground; no registration necessary).
- 2 p.m. - Hip Hop Lessons (at the Stoughton Public Library; ages 7-11; pre-registration required)
- 5:30-6:30 p.m. - Zumba Dance Class (at the Stoughton Public Library; ages 11-17; pre-registration required)
4. Bigger, Faster, Stronger
The Stoughton High Athletic Department (with help from the Prone Family Foundation) will be offering its athletes structured and supervised "Bigger Faster Stronger" workouts every Monday, Wednesday and Friday over the course of the summer as students prepare for the fall sports season and 2012-2013 school year.
Students will have the option to attend workouts in the recently renovated weightlifting room on Monday and Wednesdays from 8-10 a.m. and 10-12 p.m., as well as 4-6 p.m. for the students that have to work during the day. The facility will be open from 8-10 a.m. and 10-12 p.m. on Fridays.
5. Reminder: Thursday is Food Pantry Day in Stoughton
Stoughton resident Peg Carbone continues her effort to curb hunger in Stoughton, personally picking up donations for the food pantries every Thursday.
Here's a note from Peg: "I pick up non perishable food and also household items every Thursday, anywhere in Stoughton and deliver them to the food pantry. Please tell your friends and neighbors. One item, one bag or several, and I will pick them up every Thursday."
Haven't called to arrange a pickup? It's not too late. Call Peg at 508-889-1385 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.