5 Things, July 20: Cheerleaders Holding Fundraiser for Family of Route 24 Crash Victim
Five things you need to know today: Stoughton Cheerleading Program Holding Fundraiser for Family of Norton Girl Killed in Route 24 Rollover; Weekend Weather Forecast; and more...
"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. Stoughton Cheerleading Program Holding Fundraiser for Family of Norton Girl Killed in Route 24 Rollover
Angel Pina, 12, of Norton, died following a single car rollover on Route 24 on the Stoughton/Avon line on July 12. Cheer Nation of Stoughton will be holding an open tumble fundraiser this Friday, July 20 (6 p.m. to 8 p.m.) for Angel's family.
All are welcome to this event, which will take place at 378 Page Street, Unit 12, in Stoughton.
There will be food, drinks, snacks, baked items, Cheer Apparel and Bling Apparel, Custom “Angel” Bows, a DJ, a Balloon Table, a Stella and Dot Horseshoe Charms table, a dank tank and plenty of raffles.
2. Weekend Weather Forecast
According to the National Weather Service, the weekend forecast for the Stoughton area is as follows:
- Friday, July 20: Partly sunny, with a high near 74, east wind 7 to 9 mph during the day and partly cloudy, with a low around 56, east wind 5 to 8 mph at night.
- Saturday, July 21: Sunny, with a high near 78, northeast wind 6 to 9 mph during the day and mostly clear, with a low around 58, southeast wind 5 to 7 mph at night.
- Sunday, July 22: Mostly sunny, with a high near 83, south wind 5 to 10 mph during the day and clear, with a low around 63 at night.
3. Canton Mosquito Tests Positive for EEE
State health officials say a bird-biting mosquito in Canton has tested positive for EEE, but there is no change to the risk levels for mosquito-borne illness in Canton or in the surrounding towns, including Stoughton.
EEE has also been detected in mosquitoes in Easton.
Stoughton is NOT on the list of communities scheduled to receive aerial spraying of pesticides. No EEE samples have been found in Stoughton, and the threat of mosquito-borne illness remains "moderate" in town.
4. Free Golf Clinics for Veterans on Fridays
As a way to thank veterans for their service, there will be free golf instruction for veterans at the Cedar Hill Golf Course on Park St. in Stoughton by Bob Beach, PGA Golf Professional, on Fridays in July and August - July 6, 13, 20 and 27 and August 3, 10, 17 and 24.
All clinics run from noon till 1 p.m. Clinics are sponsored by Golf for All.
5. Real Time Traffic (and Gas Prices) on Stoughton Patch
Traveling this weekend and want to check the traffic before you hit the road?
You can do that right on Stoughton Patch thanks to our partners from MapQuest.
Get the latest traffic patterns and the cheapest gas prices in the Stoughton area (and beyond) by clicking here.