5 Things, August 22: T-Minus 2 Weeks Until the Start of School in Stoughton
Five Things You Need to Know Today: Take a look at the 2012-2013 Stoughton Public Schools calendar; Meet and greet scheduled with new Stoughton High principal; High School fall sports preseason starts this week; and more...
"Five Things you Need to Know Today" is a Patch column that provides readers with essential, daily information at a glance.
1. The 2012-2013 Stoughton Public Schools Calendar
The first day of the 2012-2013 school year in Stoughton for students in grades 1-12 is Wednesday, September 5, 2012 - just two weeks from today! Teachers (Unit A) and nurses report the day before, September 4. Kindergarten starts September 7.
2. Meet and Greet Scheduled with New Stoughton High Principal
Parents, students, faculty and staff are invited to join the Stoughton High administration for a meet & greet next Wednesday, August 29 from 6 p.m. until 8 p.m. in the SHS Media Center. It will be a chance to meet new principal Ms. Juliette Miller before the start of the school year.
3. High School Fall Sports Preseason Starts This Week
The Stoughton High football team started practicing Monday and the rest of the Stoughton High fall sports teams are back in action Thursday, holding tryouts for the upcoming season.
The following tryout schedule is posted on the Stoughton High Athletics website:
Thursday, August 23
- Cheerleading, 7 a.m. - 9 a.m.
- Boys' Soccer, 8 a.m. - 10 a.m. & 12 p.m. - 2 p.m.
- Field Hockey, 8 a.m. - 10 a.m. & 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- Volleyball, 8:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. & 12:30 p.m. - 2:30 p.m.
- Girls' Soccer, 9 a.m. - 11 a.m. & 1 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- Cross Country, 9 a.m. - 11 a.m.
- Golf, 3 p.m. (at Easton Country Club)
Student-athletes need to turn in a physical exam as well as a permission agreement and concussion history form before they are allowed to tryout or practice. The athletic participation fee is due August 30. Visit the Stoughton High Athletics website for more information.
4. Boston Children's Hospital Blood Drive
There will be a Boston Children's Hospital Blood Drive at the Stoughton YMCA (445 Central St.) Thursday, August 23, from 1-6 p.m. To make an appointment log onto halfpints.childrenshospital.org (the sponsor code for this drive is YMCASTOUGH) or call Mary Coulter-Bennett at 781-341-2016, ext. 229.
5. We're on Facebook!
Have you liked Stoughton Patch on Facebook yet? It’s quick, easy and free!